This project looked like a bombed out shell when we first saw it, and I didn’t have much hope for it. But our crew wanted to try, so we went ahead in faith. Now it’s home to a young family who had been living with neighbors. Click on any picture for expanded detail.
There are two different roof projects. The one with the peaked roof was a simple remove and replace the existing material. The one with the flat roof was a different story. The interior partitions were not strong enough to support the original roof and had caused it to sag allowing pools of water to form. The extra weight from the water eventually broke the roof rafters. We had to tear everything off and increase the height of the front wall to give the roof more of a slope. Then we built new interior walls that are strong enough to bear the weight of the new roof. By the time we were finished, only the exterior walls remained of the original structure. Click on any picture for expanded detail.
Early this spring the Lord brought us the opportunity to build a house for Him. A small congregation lost their meeting place without warning and had nowhere to go. Two neighbors, one of whom we had previously built a house for, each donated part of their land so we could attach a meeting room to the other neighbor’s house. All things considered it worked out nicely. The congregation was thrilled, and we think the Lord is pleased as well. Click on any picture for expanded detail.
This family has 5 children and lived in a two bedroom cellar with pieces of old plywood laid on top for a roof. Whenever it rained, water seeped in through the walls and through the roof. They wanted us to build the main floor for them, but we discovered the cellar walls would not support a structure. Starting just behind the cellar we built a new three bedroom house and then poured a concrete roof over the existing cellar. Now everyone has a warm, dry place to sleep, and mom and dad finally have their own bedroom. Click on any picture for expanded detail.
This is another case where a poorly constructed flat roof eventually began to collapse. It got so bad the combined weight of the roof and the water that pooled on it began cracking the windows. Water ran down inside the interior walls and shorted out the electrical system. Once again we had to remove everything above the walls. Then we strengthened the exterior walls so they could support a new roof system, and built a new peaked roof. This meant extending the interior walls to meet and help support the new roof. Finally, we re-wired the house, installed new windows, and applied stucco to match the original exterior. Click on any picture for expanded detail.
The tar paper and plywood shanty in the first picture below is home to a husband and wife, their two children, and two teenage nephews. They do all their cooking and eating outside and use the “house” for sleeping. When we met them they had already poured part of a concrete floor for a new house but didn’t have any way to complete it. We poured the rest of the floor and have begun building a new three bedroom house with indoor kitchen and eating area, electricity, and a full bath. Click on any picture for an enlarged slide show.